Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Update to my political post of 10/16

The more I learn about the crop of Republicans who identify with the "Tea Party" label, the more I realize that they are irrational right-wing extremist whom one shouldn't want calling any shots during a collapse-situation such as the one our society is currently facing. They are so irrational and extreme, in fact, that even the Reverend Pat Robertson is telling them to cool their heels!



How da fuck do ya like that?

That these nuts would come to power in the previous election was an unfortunate inevitability given 1) the intense motivation of the right-wing fanatics and 2) the frightened and desperate mood of an ignorant electorate. But now I'm hoping now that these nut-cases have shown to what they're truly dedicated, the electorate will generate a wave in the opposite direction. After all, there are many vitriolic criticisms one may make of the Democratic Party, but one thing you will never see them do is indulge extremism for extremism's sake. They're such triangulators by nature, they would simply be incapable of it!

But at the same time, I refuse to invest any faith in the Democratic Party beyond replacing the right-wing loonies with politicians who are at least willing to pay lip-service to the concept of being reasonable. Even if I did wish to emotionally invest myself in a Democratic victory, I've been like Charlie Brown getting the football pulled away by Lucy too many times to be even capable of such an investment any longer. I have had my fill of the empty and contrived civic religion in which way too many Democratic Party supporters traffic. And I have no doubt that in the event of a Democratic "wave" in late 2012, our favorite Party for the Losers will govern another few steps to the right thanks to the tone set by the "Pee Tardy".

If the next election is another Republican victory or a stalemate, however, I think I will give up entirely on all but local politics after that. What hope would there be, after all, for an electorate so ignorant that they won't get up off their lazy asses to push a bunch of crazy people out of power during a time when one needs such people in power about as much as one needs a hole in the head????

Gotta love US national politics. :-/ But sometimes you just have to put your ego aside and do something you find distasteful in order to avoid an outcome that could well be rather beyond distasteful!

No comments: